1923 IN REVIEW
As the competition got better, and Curly Lambeau began to recruit players from outside of Green Bay, he needed to guarantee them some financial gain beyond loose change in a hat. A group of five area businessmen got together and launched the Green Bay Football Corporation, a nonprofit entity to provide financial backing for the team. Shares of stock sold for $5 each and paid no dividends. Purchasers were obligated to buy at least six season tickets. The corporation had a five-member executive committee and 15 elected directors. As a nonprofit, the corporation was tax-exempt, and all profits were to go to the American Legion. Andrew B. Turnbull was elected first president of Green Bay Football Corporation on August 23rd. This was the Packers first season in Bellevue Park.
When Hagemeister was dug up in 1923 to make way for a new East High School, the Packers shifted to the new baseball grounds at the end of Main Street, Bellevue Park. Crowds of 4,000-5,000 stormed the fences to boo the hated Chicago Bears. Green Bay was 9-2-1 in 12 league games at Bellevue from 1923-24. Eight of the nine Packer wins were shutouts, and the team won its last seven at the stadium, including a 5-0 home slate in '24. The lone tie was a scoreless affair in 1923. (SOURCE: Wikipedia)
Bellevue Park was built in less than three weeks in the spring of 1923 with wood salvaged from the stands at Hagemeister Park, where the Packers had previously played. Bellevue was built for baseball and reconfigured for the Packers later that year. Capacity was listed at a little more than 3,300, but nearly 4,500 fans squeezed into the park's cramped quarters when the Packers entertained the Chicago Bears on Oct. 14, 1923. At that point, the two teams had played only once before -in Chicago in 1921 when the Bears were still named the Staleys. The Packers lost that first game in Green Bay, 3-0. The rivalry grew into the most storied in the National Football League. The ballpark here bordered the street with the field running north and south. At the north end there was a barn decorated with a Bellevue Ice Cream sign. To the west was the former Hagemeister Brewery bottling house. However, the Packers played here during Prohibition when the company went under the name Hagemeister Food Products. Later, it was changed again to Bellevue Food Products. Bellevue Park was razed in 1928.