Green Bay Packers (6-4-3) 7, Chicago Bears (7-4-1) 0
​Sunday December 9th 1928 (at Chicago)
(CHICAGO) - A curly-headed Irish boy, Dick O'Donnell by name, ascended to the Green Bay football hall of fame Sunday for he brought a great 6 to 0 victory to the Packers over the Bears at Chicago. It was a fitting climax to a thrilling battle when Dick enacted the hero role just two minutes before the game ended and brought the second win of the season to Green Bay
over its traditional Chicago rival. Many of the 14,000 
fans present were beginning to leave the field certain 
that the game would end in a scoreless tie, when Dick's
chance came. The ball was in the Packers' possession
on the 48 yard line. Three times previously the Bays
had marched down the field beyond the twenty-five yard
line, but always something happened to prevent them
from scoring. The first play was a line buck by Molenda
which gained but a scant yard.
Then it happened. Of a fake end run, Dunn dropped far
back of the 50-yard line and kept moving, waiting for his
chance to throw a pass. He kept moving sideways and
backwards until it seemed as if the ball would never 
leave his hands. In the meantime, Dunn's companions
protected him, blocking marvelously and stopping every
Bear man who tried to get to him. Finally Dunn threw
the ball straight and it traveled far down in the midst of
a group of Bear players, it seemed. But there was a 
Packer man down there in the group. It was O'Donnell.
Jumping into the air he took the thrown ball on dead run
and kept on going. He was on the fifteen-yard line when
he caught the ball but there were still several Bear men
to evade. Dodging the first player he nearly ran into
another, but again he pivoted away and kept going until
but a few yards from the goal. Another Bear man tried
to get him at that point and nearly succeeded. He
tackled Dick, but couldn't hold on, as Dick tumbled to
the ground, then arose and stumbled over the goal line,
fighting off two other Bear man who had caught up to
him. Kotal, Dilweg and Darling contributed some great
blocking to help Dick score. They took out those men
who tried to get Dick. The point for extra point was
missed, but it mattered little to the 600 or more Green
Bay fans in the stands at Wrigley field where the game
was played. That touchdown to them was enough to
beat any team in the world.
It was a thrilling tilt from the opening whistle to the end
of the game. Twice the Bears were in scoring territory 
but both times the Packer linemen, playing as great in
the final game of the year as at any time previous, held
and prevented any score. Once when Chicago had
completed a forward pass to the never-old Paddy 
Driscoll, the Bears had the ball on the twelve-yard line.
Three line plunges with White and Walquist carrying the
ball lost three yards when Packer linemen charged
through and downed the ball carriers before they could
get going. On the fourth down, Paddy Driscoll dropped
back to the 25 yard line and tried a drop kick. Paddy's
old foot that was so great for Northwestern back in 1916
failed him, however, and the ball went low, and far wide
of the goal posts. That happened soon after the start
of the second quarter. A few minutes after that the
Bears threatened again when Carlson intercepted a
Packer pass in midfield and tore down to the 23-yard
line before Perry stopped him. Again the Packers put
up a great defense of their goal line and the Bears could
not score. Three passes were knocked down by the
Packers in defense of their goal, and Driscoll was
forced to punt, the ball going over the line.
The Bears never were dangerous after that. They had all
they could do to stop the Packer passing attack which
threatened constantly to bring Green Bay a touchdown.
Three times in the last half, Packer men received
passes and raced deep into Bear territory and were
nearly clear for touchdowns, but always they were
stopped by Bear secondary defensemen who did some
good work. Eddie Kotal made a great catch of a pass
from Dunn soon after the start of the second half and
raced from the 40-yard line to the 25 before he was
tackled and forced out of bounds. Walquist stopped
that threat, however, when he intercepted the next pass
on his 13-yard line and the Bears punted out of danger.
Again just before the end of the third period, the Bays
started another great passing parade down the field.
Dilweg was on the receiving end of three of the heaves
and twice it looked as if Lavvie would get clear to keep
running for the goal.
The first pass to Lavvie have the ball to the Packers on
the Bear 49-yard line and a first ten. Molenda then
added two yards, and another pass, Dunn to Dilweg,
brought a second successive first down. Lavvie made a
sensational catch to bring the ball to the 37 yard line
on the play. Dunn and Molenda then contributed nine
yards and advanced the ball to the 28-yard line and
another pass went into the waiting arms of Dilweg on
the 22-yard line. Lavvie was nearly clear but White
stopped him. Eddie Kotal advanced the ball to the
18-yard line on a good off-tackle smash after that, but
on the next play Fleckenstein broke through and threw
Lewellen for a loss. Two passes were knocked down
by the Bears and the Packers lost the ball. The
Chicagoans punted out of danger. That didn't deter the
Packers, however, for they immediately came back
deep into the Bear territory. after getting the ball on the
40-yard line. Eddie Kotal and Molenda made some fine
plunging through holes opened up by the linemen to
advance the ball twelve yards, and a 15-yard penalty to
the Bears for roughness carried the oval still deeper into
the Chicago territory. Molenda again added four yards and then a pass failed, and Molenda dropped back to the 20-yard line to try a placekick, but the ball was low and wide of the goal posts. Again the Bears took the ball on their own 20-yard line, punted to Dunn who brought it back to midfield, a few minutes before the game ended. It was from that spot that the pass from Dunn to Dick O'Donnell won the game.
Many of the Packer-Bear games have been sensational but few had the thrills and features that did this final
contest. The tackling was hard and fast throughout and work of both sets of linemen was as great as ever witnessed on a Chicago field. The first half of the game was practically even with neither eleven having much of advantage. It was a punting duel between Lewellen and the veteran Driscoll, with Lewellen having slightly the better of the argument. Lewellen's punting was a feature throughout the contest and at one time he booted the ball seventy yards down the field to take the Packers out of danger.
GREEN BAY -  0  0  0  6 -  6
CHI BEARS -  0  0  0  0 -  0
4th - GB - O'Donnell, 48-yard pass from Dunn (Kick failed) GREEN BAY 6-0

DECEMBER 10 (Green Bay Press-Gazette) - Voss caught a forward pass from Driscoll in the first quarter that might of proven dangerous for the Packers if he had not slipped on the 45-yard line and fallen. Several Packer players were between him and the goal line, however, so it is doubtful whether he could of continued on much farther...The Packers completed seven of nineteen passes tried, during the game and the Bears completed three of sixteen. In the matter of first downs, the Packers made nine to five counted by the Bears...A warm sun made it pleasant for the fans who gathered for the final game of the year at Wrigley field. A thin coating of snow covered one end of the field, but was not enough to make the going slippery...All of the Packer linemen did great work, with Perry, Minick, Ashmore and Jones outstanding stars of the day. Earpe did some good work at center until he was injured in the second quarter, and Darling, who relieved him, also turned in a creditable account the rest of the battle...Nash played at an end the first half, and O'Donnell relived him the last two quarters. Besides scoring for the Packers, O'Donnell did some fine defensive work. The efforts of Dilweg were remarkable throughout the contest. Time after time, Lavvie broke through to down Bear men and tackle Sternaman before he could get started after receiving a punt...Driscoll and Walquist were outstanding performers for the Bears, while all of the Chicago linemen played stellar ball throughout the game...Fleckenstein ably filled Trafton's shoes in the game even to the "Big Bull's" ability of picking fights. On one occasion Fleckenstein jumped on Eddie Kotal after the latter was downed and the Bears drew a 15-yard penalty.