(CHICAGO) - In one of the greatest battles against odds that a team ever staged, the Green Bay Packers wound up the National league football season at Wrigley field here Sunday afternoon, but the decision went to the Chicago Bears, 7 to 6. Before a crowd of 7,000 Green Bay turned in a brilliant performance. Only 13 men played, nine of that group fighting in 60 minutes of bruising play. If ever there was a game that they deserved to win, it was this one, but it was not to be. Some of the greatest bits of open field running ever seen on a football field was turned in by Clark Hinkle
and Bob Monnett. Blocking was at its best. Defensive
play left little to be desired. Only on one occasions did
the secondary pass defense slip. That happened to be
the time when Molesworth tossed a pass to Ronzani,
the former Marquette flash. Gene caught the ball and
galloped unmolested for a touchdown. Jack Manders,
the Bruins' placekicking ace, delivered for the extra
point. It brought the Bears six points.
On no other occasion did the Bears seriously threaten.
They were bottled up, smothered and smashed while 
the Packers fought them back. Green Bay was always
dangerous and constantly kept the play in Chicago
territory, but only once were they able to score, the
touchdown coming on a sensational play by Monnett,
who raced 88 yards through a broken field to cross the
line. On other occasions the Bay men were repulsed in
the shadow of Chicago's goal. On the opening kickoff,
Clark Hinkle figured in the sensational play, dashing 
with the ball from his own four yard line to the Bear four
yard stripe before he finally was brought down from 
behind by Bill Karr. He dragged Karr five yards before he
was finally smothered. Crippled and bruised after a
season of disappointments and heart breaks, the Bays
were out to win the final game against the Chicagoans.
They put everything they had into the game, fighting the
Bears off their feet but to no avail. After Clark's amazing
run to the four yard mark, the Packers had four downs
to make the goal. They cracked the line with all the
power they could muster, but that narrow piece of turf
couldn't be completely crossed. Massed on defense 
into a towering wall of beef and bone the Bears repulsed
the Packers on the final two shots, after the first two
plays had put the ball inches from the line.
Clark had great interference on the run with the kickoff.
His mates bowled over the Bears like ten-pins to give
him room. They couldn't get all the Bruins out of the 
way, however, Carlson checking his dash near the 20
yard line of the Chicagoans, throwing him off his stride
just long enough for Karr to overtake him from the side
and rear. He nearly wiggled free from Karr, but couldn't
quite do it as the Bear end hung on and fought him 
down. Again, when Monnett scintilated there was
blocking such as seldom has been seen on any football
field. The fleet Packer back started behind his own ten
yard line. He cut wide to the right to elude a pair of men.
Another was cracked out of the way by Mike Michalske
as Monnett started to dash down the east sidelines. He
had to cut into the middle of the field, with four men on
his heels or closing in from the sides. A rapidly forming
wedge of protection smashed down three of the Bear
players. Only Keith Molesworth remained. He hedged,
giving ground cautiously as Monnett shifted and changed his pace. Red Bultman came up from the side, slapped Molesworth to the ground with a perfect block. Molesworth got up but went down again, with Red riding him. A third time he got up, still fighting to get to Monnett, and a third time Red cracked him down. It completely cleared the field and Monnett dashed over the goal line. After the opening plays and the Packers lost the ball on downs on the one-foot line, the Bears tried a surprise prize pass to Hewitt. It connected, seven yards. Then the Bears punted out and Roger Grove made a great return, coming back deep into Bear territory. But Goldenberg fumbled and the Bears recovered to stop the threat momentarily. Again the Bears punted and again Grove made a sensational return behind fine blocking to put the ball on the 31 yard line. Stopped by the powerful Bear line, the Packers tried a placekick with Hinkle doing the booting. The ball sailed high and far but wide of the uprights and the Bears took it again, punting out.
The Packers fought back after a third return by Grove that netted more than 15 yards to put the ball on the Bear 33. Three line smashes made it first down on the 20 but a pass over the goal stopped the attack and the Bears struck back. The play slowed up a little and neither side got deep into the other's territory until late in the second quarter. A punt by Hinkle was partially blocked by Carlson and it was downed on the Bear 38. Molesworth got off a quick kick and the ball sailed far down the field, finally coming to rest on the Packer one-foot line where Hewitt downed it. Hinkle punted out safely but Molesworth, by some good running, brought it to the 32 yard line. Then the Bear quarterback faded back and tossed a pass to Ronzani, who caught the ball on the 10 yard line and raced across the goal. Manders came in to take Nagurski's place and kicked from placement, giving the Bears a 7 to 0 lead. During the third period both sides fought stubbornly, forcing each other to punt. Neither side threatened although on one occasion. Monnett broke loose for an 18 yard run around the end. He was stopped before getting deep into Bear territory, however. In the fourth period Molesworth kicked to the Packers 42 and the Green Bay team drew a 25 yard penalty for clipping, pushing them back to their own 17. Dilweg made a remarkable catch of a pass for a seven yard gain but other tosses failed and Hinkle punted to the Bear 40.
This set the stage for Monnett's run. Molesworth punted back and Bob took the ball on his 12 yard mark. He weaved back and forth covering much more than the straight-line distance to the goal, outran and ducked them all to race for a touchdown. Grove then tried the placekick for the extra point that would have tied the score had it been completed, but Zeller blocked it and the Bears still held the edge. In the final minutes Green Bay opened with passes again but couldn't connect and lost the ball on downs. From the 32 yard line Manders tried a field goal as darkness and the end of the game approached, but the ball sailed wide of the uprights and the Packers took it on their 20.
GREEN BAY -  0  0  0  6  -  6
CHI BEARS -  0  7  0  0  -  7
2nd - CHI - Gene Ronzani, 32-yard pass from Keith Molesworth (Jack Manders kick) CHICAGO BEARS 7-0
4th - GB - Monnett, 85-yard punt return (Grove kick blocked)  CHICAGO BEARS 7-6
Chicago Bears (10-2-1) 7, Green Bay Packers (5-7-1) 6
Sunday December 10th 1933 (at Chicago)
DECEMBER 11 (Chicago) - That long run of Bob Monnett's was a thriller that the Chicago fans will not forget for a long time. The pint-sized Packer caught the ball on his own 8-yard line, near the left sidelines and started off to the right. When near midfield, after dodging half a dozen tacklers, he cut back to the left and then to the right. After galloping about 30 yards he swung to the left and dashed over the goal line with no one near him. The Packer halfback ran at least 130 yards to negotiate the distance to the goal line. The blocking on this play was perfect, practically every Bear player being knocked off his feet at one time or another, some of them hitting the sod two or three times...The blocking of Red Bultman was unusual on Monnett's run. He spun several Bears off their feet and was with Monnett when he crossed the goal line. Several other Packers, including Grove, Michalske, Goldenberg, Hinkle, Dilweg and Perry also did their share of fine work on this play...Clark Hinkle gave the crowd its first thrill when he grabbed Manders' kickoff on the 3-yard line and dashed 92 yards down the field to the Bears' 4-yard line. Hinkle got off to a good start and he never slackened his pace until near the Bears' 15-yard line, where he ran into three players. Some good blocking took out two of them, but Karr, Bear end, grabbed Hinkle from behind on the 10 yard line. Clark hailed him five yards more before he was hauled down...It was heart-breaking to Packer fans to see their team lose the ball about three inches from the goal line after that long dash of Hinkle's. Four plays, virtually all of them in the same place, failed to pick up the necessary five yards for a touchdown and the ball went over to the Bears. Some fans, or "grandstand quarterbacks", as it were, thought the plays should have been mixed up a bit or an end run tried, for the Bears were massed right on the goal line and stopped every play. Zuck Carlson, guard, in particular, shone on defense for the Bears...Among the coaches at the game were Heartley (Hunk) Anderson, who resigned at Notre Dame Friday; Doc Spears, of Wisconsin; Frank Murray, Tarzan Taylor, and Red Dunn of Marquette; Bernie Bierman of Minnesota and Dick Hanley of Northwestern...Coach Murray of Marquette, who had heard so much about Hewitt, was disappointed at the Bear end's showing yesterday and was twitting Red Dunn about it, as Dunn had been praising the Michigan man to the skies. "He can't compare with Dilweg, when he was in his prime," said the Marquette coach. "Lavvie was a much better end; he's still a great end." Dunn admitted all this and then replied: "Well, Hewitt took a lot of punishment; he didn't look so good because they were cracking him on every play, whether he was in it or not. The Packers had him stopped cold for the first time this season, but he, too, is still a good end."...Rumors in the press box were to the effect that Hunk Anderson had already signed a contract to coach the New York University football team next season. Anderson was non-committal about these reports and others that he would coach the Chicago Bears in 1934...Ray Sparling, a great end from the University of Southern California, sat on the Packer bench during the game. He was the guest of Joe Kurth, Green Bay tackle, whom he met on the coast...George Halas was ticked pink with the size of the crowd. It started to snow about 1 o'clock, but soon stopped, but the weather was bitterly cold. Despite this, about 6,000 paid to see the fray, and they got their money's worth. Halas had figured on about 3,000 attendance...When Bob Monnett flashed over the goal line after his long run, Keith Molesworth, Bear safety man, picked himself up off the ground and yelled to Gordon McNutt, one of the officials, "I was clipped"., "You sure were, buddy, but you weren't clipped," replied McNutt. Molesworth, incidentally, was knocked down four times on this play. McNutt was down the field on the play and saw everything that transpired near the goal line and refused to heed Molesworth's squawks....Bill Hewitt, Bear end, who has been a thorn in the side of every opposing team this year, was pretty well stopped yesterday. It was Buckets Goldenberg's job to crash him and he certainly did a good job of it, for Mr. Hewitt spent part of the afternoon on the flat of his back. In fact Buckets knocked him out twice. "Gee whiz, can that Buckets hit," remarked Hewitt to Manager George Halas after the game. "I'm sure glad this fracas is over with. The going out there today was certainly tough."...The Packers were penalized in the fourth quarter for clipping, the officials claiming that Hinkle clipped Hewitt. Football experts in the press box, and this included many Big Ten coaches, saw the play and declared it one of the prettiest sideblocks they had ever seen. Regardless the Packers were assessed 15 yards. They lost about 40 yards on this miscue of the officials, for Monnett has carried the ball up to the 45-yard line before being laid low. Hinkle protested, too, but to no avail...There are many Packers that "can take it", but there is one that stands out above them all - Roger Grove, quarterback. Grove has been "taking it" plenty during the past four weeks and he's pounded black and blue. He has been in the last four games sixty minutes and there has been no complaint from him. He likes to play football and every time they hit him hard when he comes back with a punt (and does he come back) he gets up, shakes himself, and starts calling signals. Grove has suffered many lacerations, contusions, bumps, bruises, sprains, knocks, charley horses and other ailments, but he has always stayed in just as long as he was needed. Our hats are off to Grove - a "game guy"...Bob Monnett has won the hearts of the Packers fans and they most assuredly want to see him back in a Green Bay uniform next year. Monnett is the type of ball carrier that the crowds like to see, you always expect him to get away for at least one long run and he seldom disappoints. Many fans had been looking for Monnett to run back a punt for a touchdown and he came through against the Bears - the toughest team in the league...The Packers made nine first downs to two for the Bears. Four forward passes in 11 tries were completed by the Bears. The Packers completed 7 passes for 51 yards out of 18 tosses. Both had one pass intercepted...Johnny Blood rejoined the team for the Chicago game but did not see action. He was suspended in New York two weeks ago for breaking training rules...The victory gives the Bears the privilege of playing for the National league championship in their own backyard next Sunday against the New York Giants...The suit of clothing offered by M.E. Davis to a Packer player was won by Lon Evans, a guard. Mr. David had offered one suit for every Packer touchdown, the winner or winners to be made by drawing...It was "iron-man" duty for Comstock, Bultman, Michalske, Perry, Gantenbein, Dilweg, Grove, Hinkle and Goldenberg. All played 60 minutes. Joe Kurth was injured, suffering from bruised ribs and had to retire in the third period, Hubbard taking his place. Bruder played the first half and Monnett the second half at halfback posts...Johnny Sisk went out of the game with a broken collarbone in the second period. The game was rough, but contained no dirty football. They hit for "keeps"...Mike Michalske turned in a sweet game. Coach Lambeau had him backing up the line on the 6-3-2 defense. Goldenberg and Hinkle also played the shallow secondary and did some fine work closing gaps. Mike's blocking on several occasions to help ball carriers run for gains, was beautiful to watch. On Monnett's run, he took out three men...The ends, Dilweg and Gantenbein, were at their best. Dilweg picked off three passes that seemed impossible to catch. The Bears seldom took him out of a play. Perry also was a powerful item in the Packer line, sliding around the field to pull down ball carriers. Comstock and Bultman also were reliable and efficient.
DECEMBER 11 (Chicago) - The National Professional Football league will introduce to football next Sunday what would compare in baseball to the World Series. I mean the playoff for the championship between the Chicago Bears, winners in the western division, and the New York Giants, winner of the eastern division. The Bears, by finishing with 10 victories, two defeats and one tie against New York's 11 victories and three defeats, earned the advantage of playing the game on their home field. I think the Bears will win. In my opinion Chicago will have an advantage because its attack is better suited to the doubtful weather you may expect at this time of the season. It may snow, or rain, or be cold, and while anything like this would handicap both teams, it would, as I see it, handicap the Giants more. The Bears, as a team, are more rugged and have more power. They wouldn't mind bad going as much as the Giants, who are essentially a passing team. Even without the doubtful weather element, however, I still string with the Bears. They appear to have more fire than the Giants and in a game like this they will consequently block and tackle better. However, the New York passes are not to be discounted. The easterner undoubtedly have the greatest overhead offensive in the league for two reasons. First, their passes are the most accurate and, secondly, they have splendid receivers. Anytime the defense slips up, even for a moment, the Giants are almost certain to strike. The championship game further should be worth the price of admission alone because of the great fight expected to develop between two of the finest ends in the league. Bill Hewitt of the Bears and Ray Flaherty of the Giants. Flaherty, formerly of Gonzaga, end Hewitt, the old Michigan star, have been outstanding men on their teams in every way. As for our game with the Bears here Sunday, I don't think we should have lost. The team put up a great fight, despite the fact that we were badly crippled. With just a little break or two we might easily have tied or won. Because of the injuries I had to rearrange our defense and was using a guard among the secondaries. He slipped up on one assignment and Gene Ronzani got around him for the Bears' winning touchdown. Other factors which handicapped us were bad quarterbacking and bad passing.