JAN 30 (Los Angeles) - Playing for charity at the box office and blood on the gridiron, the Green Bay Packers and the Chicago Bears will try to settle their postseason rivalry Sunday at Gilmore Stadium. Sponsored by the American Legion, a percentage of the game proceeds will go to flood relief by mutual assent of Coach E.L. Lambeau of the Packers and Owner-Coach George Halas of the bulky Bears. The Midwest pro enemies fought to a 20-20 deadlock here last Sunday and settled nothing except the fact that both clubs can get sufficiently steamed up to thrill any gathering of fans in the nation. A scant 10,000 viewed last Sunday's conflict, which saw several players painfully hurt and several more attempt to settle the difference via their fists...EXPECT BIGGER CROWD: In view of after-tales of the battle, and the charity appeal of the game, a much larger crowd is expected Sunday. The Packers, national pro champions, and the Bears played twice during the regular season, each taking away a victory. Halas declared the game last
week was "one of the toughest games I ever saw in watching 20 years of professional football. They boys really played for keeps," he said. "Johnny Sisk, who suffered a dislocated and torn thumb that left the bone protruding, was on the operating table for more than an
hour after the game. It was one of the worst injuries I
ever saw. Arnold Herber, the Packers' great throwing 
ace, had his nose broken. I doubt if it will ever be the
same again. The boys on both clubs were tired, worn,
​bruised and battered after the game."...MAY WEAR
MASK: Herber will hardly be able to play this week, 
unless he wears a mask, leaving the Packers' great
passing combination of Herber to Hutson either split or
handicapped, but Lambeau uncovered fine passers in
Bob Monnett and Joe Laws when Herber went out last
week, and the ever-deadly toe of Ernie Smith, giant
Packer tackle, can be depended upon to boot across
field goals. For that matter, the Bears' Jack Manders,
former Minnesota star, performed on equal goal booting
terms with Smith last week, each putting two through 
the bars. Twice Smith put the Packers in the lead with
kicks and twice Manders tied it up. The outstanding 
thorn in the Packers' side was and probably will be
lanky Joe Stydahar, new Bear recruit from West Virginia
university, at tackle, while Bronko Nagurski, battering Bear fullback, just was beginning to warm up last week in the final period.
JAN 30 (Hollywood) - Due to injuries, Walt Kiesling, Buckets Goldenberg, Champ Seibold and Arnold Herber have been unable to work out this week as the Green Bay Packers drilled for tomorrow's game with the Chicago Bears. Seibold and Herber went through today's practice, however. Herber's nose is broken in four places and he will wear a special nose guard in Sunday's game...SEE BIG CROWD: The contest has attracted much interest, and a capacity crowd is expected if the weather is fair. Although their playing season will be finished after Sunday's game, the Packers will be in for a tough week, starting Monday when they will start a movie short for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. The script is written, and four men were assigned during the past week to hurry preparations so the picture could be made while the team is in California...RETURN TO BAY: If weather is favorable, we should complete the picture by Feb. 6 and be back in Green Bay around Feb. 11. After looking over the script yesterday afternoon, we believe that the film will be the greatest possible advertisement for Green Bay and the Packers. Filming will be done on the M-G-M lot and Loyola university, where Tom Lieb is coach. He has offered the campus for the picture, which will be  Pete Smith short, with Clarke Hinkle, Don Hutson and Herber as the featured stars.
JAN 30 (Los Angeles) - Football has its final fling tomorrow afternoon at Gilmore Stadium when the Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears take a parting shot on each other. Rematched after their bruising 20-20 deadlock last week, the ancient enemies of the National League are expected to lure a throng of at least 15,000 customers for the windup tomorrow...BENEFIT BATTLE: A part of the gate receipts will be turned over to the American Red Cross flood relief fund. Johnny Sisk's dislocated digit will preclude his appearing in the Bear backfield, Roarin' Ray Nolting, one of the prize funds of the 1936 season, subbing for "Big Train" at the important left halfback post. Under the Halas offensive system the left halfback has more duties to perform than the editor of a country weekly...LAWS WILL START: Curly Lambeau also has juggled his backfield combination, having decided to start Joe Laws, the former Iowa star, instead of George Sauer, at right half. Laws and Bobby Monnett proved a dangerous pair in last Sunday's game, one of Monnett's passes being taken by Laws for a touchdown. Buckets Goldenberg, guard and quarterback, and Champ Seibold, lineman for the Packers, will not be able to play. Arnold Herber, who had his nose broken in four places, will need plenty of protection. Herber is not going to get it set property until he returns home. Someone might smash it again. George Halas and Lambeau met yesterday and agreed upon two of the four officials necessary for the game. Ross Bowen and Ab Young were the officials approved. There is a possibility of Jim Thorpe appearing as an official in the game.
JAN 31 (Los Angeles) - Don't look no, folks, but I think the local football season is just about washed up. And here it is only January 29! From all indications, the grand finale comes off this afternoon at Gilmore Stadium when those two super-dreadnaughts of the pro football fleet - Green Bay's Packers and Chicago's Bears - bombard each other with their big guns. They may have to play the game in rowboats if the rain keeps up, but the contest will be staged, "rain or shine", according to stadium officials. The contest should serve as a sensational climax if it's anything like last Sunday's super thriller which wound up in a 20-to-20 tie, for that engagement had all the elements of sure-fire entertainment - action, comedy, tragedy - everything, in fact, but love!...STARS MISSING: As a result of the first brawl, both teams will be minus the services of several of their star players. Missing from the Packers lineup will be a couple of swell linemen, Champ Seibold and Buckets Goldenberg, while center Ookie Miller and halfback Johnny Sisk of the Bears are unfit for action today. Offensively, the Packers seemed to have a bit of an edge last Sunday, with Bob Monnett, Clarke Hinkle, Joe Laws and George Sauer as chief offenders, but the Bears came up with a stronger defense, anchored by the great Joe Stydahar and George Musso at the tackle spots and Jules Carlson and Ed Michaels at guard. This quarter, with Stydahar particularly effective, outplayed the Packer line and only the fact that Monnett, leading national collegiate scorer during his 1934 season at Michigan State, had a hot day kept the Packers from winding up short-changed...SMITH SPARKLES: Of course, Ernie Smith's big toe accounted for seven Packer points - two field goals and a conversion kick - but the Bears matched Smith and then some with "Automatic Jack" Manders, who kicked two field goals and two conversions and missed a 51-yard field goal by the length of Man Mountain Dean's chin spinach. Part of today's proceeds will be turned over to the American Red Cross flood relief fund.
JAN 31 (Los Angeles) - Best advice of the old X-Ray can give youse guys and youse gals today is to meander out to Gilmore Stadium and give a look-see at the behemothic pro footballers. The Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers, two gridiron outfits composed of robust young men who think nothing of a kick in the ribs - as long as the kick is in somebody else's ribs - and play for keeps, ring down the curtain on the local football season (and it's about time!). Part of the proceeds go to the Red Cross for the flood relief fund. That makes the game for a noble cause, even in the eyes of the college graduate managers, who view pro football in the same light as they would termites in their stadiums, or should it be stadii? In fact, I would say emphatically graduate managers prefer termites to pro football, but then that is beside the point. The Packers and the Bears met last week, purely for themselves and not giving charity a chunk of the receipts, and the net result was a 20-20 tie, one broken thumb, a few sprained ankles, a broken rib or two and innumerable bruises. Some of the folks were suspicious because the game ended in a tie - intimating the boys were, a la rassler, playing for a return match. Personally the Trojan-Notre Dame 13-13 tie looked "fishier" to me. If I didn't know that the Trojans and Irish hated each other like all good college teams should, I'd have thought that was a phony, what with the referee assisting in one Trojan touchdown and the other coming on a fumble-lateral pass. Anyhow, even the scoffers agree that the Bears and Packers will be leveling today. And after watching the colleges hog the gate at their games, it'll be a treat to watch a football contest in which part of the dough goes to charity.
EXHIBITION: Green Bay Packers 20, Chicago Bears 20 (T)
Sunday January 24th 1937 (at Los Angeles)
(LOS ANGELES) - There is a move on foot today to rematch the Green Bay Packers and burly Chicago Bears, who played to a 20 to 20 tie yesterday in a bruising game that kept 10,000 fans in an uproar from start to finish. Transferring National league hostilities to the West coast, both clubs brought along all their old grudges and lost little time putting them on display for the local trade. Mixing fisticuffs with brilliant, nerve tingling football, the teams put on a show that should pack Gilmore Stadium next Sunday if they play again. The educated toes of big Ernie Smith, product of the University of Southern California, and John Manders, former Minnesota back, provided thrills galore as the  fate of the game seesawed back and forth. Manders twice tied the count with field goals. Pugilistic tendencies broke out as soon as Arnold Herber fired a short pass over the line to Milton Gantenbein for
the first Packer touchdown. Herber's nose was broken.
He left the field holding his nose with one hand and
waving the other at the Bear rushers whom he charged
slugged him.
Midway in the second period evidences of ill feeling
flared in the open when Lou Gordon, 235-pound tackle,
and 177-pound Beattie Feathers, Bear halfback, were
discovered trading punches after a play. The rival
players began shoving each other around, officials being
unable to halt the disturbance. Joe Stydahar, Bear 
tackle from West Virginia and the outstanding linemen 
of the game, left the bench and swung at Gordon. He
missed. Feathers and Gordon were banished from the
field. Coach Curly Lambeau blamed the loss of Herber
for the result of the game, while George Halas of the
Bears said the loss of John Sisk with a broken finger
hurt his club. The Packers took advantage of a Bear
fumble to score first. Feathers dropped the ball on the
Bear 26, and Ernie Smith recovered. Herber passed to
Hinkle, who stepped out of bounds on the six-yard line.
Sauer made three over tackle and Herber passed to
Gantenbein for the tally. Smith converted.
The Bears tied the score when Stydahar intercepted 
a pass form left-handed Laws and ran 55 yards in an
open field for the score. Manders converted. Taking the
kickoff, Sauer made 34 yards around end to the Packer
40. Laws lost two and Monnett fired a pass to Hank
Bruder, who carried the ball to the Bear 20. Monnett 
and Hinkle battered their way to the eight, but Stydahar
threw Monnett for a four-yard loss. Smith stepped back
and with the ball on the 23-yard line, booted a field goal
to put the Packers in a 10 to 7 lead. Bear ball carriers
Bronko Nagurski, Feathers, Ray Nolting and Pug
Rentner were unable to get anywhere. In the second
quarter the Packers took the ball on their own 38 and
with Monnett and Laws in harness moved to midfield.
Monnett heaved a long pass to Laws, who snatched it
out of Nagurski's reach and raced for a touchdown. The
pass play was good for 48 yards. Hinkle converted, and
the half ended with the Packers enjoying a 17 to 7
margin. Soon after the big fuss in the middle of the field 
Goldenberg took a swipe at Manders, accusing him of
slugging him when he tackled him.
The Packers either let down in the second half or the
Bears were steamed up, because the Chicagoans had
the best of the last part of the game. Nagurski found
gaping holes and tore through, and Manders' unerring toe did the rest. Jules Carlson, Bear guard, blocked Hinkle's punt and fell on the ball on the Packer 14. The Bears reached the 7-yard line, but Nagurski missed a first down by inches and Hinkle kicked short to his own 39. Nolting made 4, Nagurski went off right tackle to the 24, Manders added 4 more and Brumbaugh crossed up the Packers with a rifle pass to Luke Johnsos, who scampered a few yards for a touchdown. Manders converted, and the score was 17 to 14. Carlson moved in just before the third quarter ended and blocked another punt by Hinkle, the Bears taking the ball on the Packer 24-yard line. The Bears lost 5 yards for offside as the period ended, and the fourth quarter thrills began.
Karr, on an end around, made no gain, but Champ Seibold, Packer tackle, was carried from the field with his left left hurt. Nagurski rammed up to the 26, and Manders stepped back to the 34 and booted a field goal to tie the score at 17-17. The Packers took the kickoff and on a pass from Monnett to the Packer 38, Scherer sprinted down the sidelines to the Bear 25, where he stepped out of bounds. He galloped across the goal line, but the ball was brought back. Monnett made 8 in two line plunges, and Laws lugged to to the 14 and a first down. Hinkle smashed the ball to the 8, and on fourth down Smith booted a field goal to put Green Bay in a 20 to 17 lead. He stood on the 18-yard line. It looked safe. The Bears brought the ball to midfield, and Manders on last down tried a desperate 51-yard field goal attempt. It was straight but short. The Packers were forced to kick and Nagurski began running pell-mell. He barged 26 yards around his own left end before three Packers hauled him down. Two plays later, Nolting carried it to the Packer 18, and on fourth down down from the 25 Manders stepped back and again tied the score with perfect placement. There were less than four minutes to play. The clubs exchanged punts and the game ended with the ball in Bear possession and territory. The players left the field apparently satisfied and in better humor than they started, many walking arm in arm.
GREEN BAY     -  10   7   0   3 - 20
CHICAGO BEARS -   7   0   7   6 - 20
1st - GB - Milt Gantenbein, 3-yard pass from Arnold Herber (Ernie Smith kick) GREEN BAY 7-0
1st - CHI - Joe Stydahar, 55-yard interception return (Jack Manders kick) TIED 7-7
1st - GB - E. Smith, 23-yard field goal GREEN BAY 10-7
2nd - GB - Joe Laws, 48-yard pass from Bob Monnett (Clarke Hinkle kick) GREEN BAY 17-7
​3rd - CHI - Luke Johnsos, 20-yard pass from Carl Brumbaugh (Jack Manders kick) GREEN BAY 17-14
4th - CHI - Manders, 34-yard field goal TIED 17-17
4th - GB - E. Smith, 18-yard field goal GREEN BAY 20-17
4th - CHI - Manders, 25-yard field goal TIED 20-20
held in jail. Sheriff Ira Syck had adopted a hostile attitude toward him and was hostile towards Kearney...WANTED FOR FORGERY: "Yeh," said the sheriff, "I got Norton and I'm going to keep him. He's a bad man, wanted all over Minnesota. Got a forgery warrant for him from one county." "What county?" Kearney asked. "Not going to tell you. You'll just have to take him back to Iowa and turn him loose and I'm going to stick this bird if I can. Of course, if he pays that $75 fine he owes us I'd just as soon turn him loose but if he doesn't, I'm going to stick him." It developed, however, that the forgery charge was held at Northfield, Minn. ANOTHER $4 CHECK. Norton had cashed the check at an oil station. It was made out to him, endorsed by him, and signed "Ruth Larson". It had been returned by the bank marked "No Account". No one in Northfield had heard of a Ruth Larson...CHARGE IS UNFOUNDED: But after a long hunt over rural roads, Kearney found a Ruth Larson. She was a school teacher and she told the parole agent that she had bought magazines from Norton and had given him a check for $4. But by the time she had deposited the money at her home in Cannon Falls, Minn., the check had come through and had been sent back. She left the money there for a week, she said, but when the check failed to come through again, she took the money. Thus, Kearney found that this forgery charge was unfounded and Norton, when told about Kearney's discovery, was jubilant..."The magazine selling business," says Norton, "is a bad thing for me, especially cause when I start making money, I seem to want more and more. I'm grasping all the time. But I'm through with it. I'll be glad to go to work on a farm for board and room. I don't want big money. I'm happier without it and a damned sight better off," he said. "Don't worry," Kearney said, telling him his parole would not be revoked as things stand now and instructing him to report to the parole board in Des Moines when his Minnesota difficulties are straightened out. "You're not going to sell magazines again as long as we have anything to say about it."
JAN 27 (Los Angeles) - In the sweet name of charity, some three dozen or so young giants will practice hoofball homicide next Sunday afternoon at Gilmore Stadium. Yep - the Packers and the Bears will have at it again. And flood sufferers in the Mississippi and Ohio River valleys will benefit from the super-rematch of the pro grid players. After wrangling with George Halas and Curly Lambeau for the better part of a day and night, Harry Myers, secretary of the American Legion group which sponsors local pro football, came to terms with the club owners yesterday morning. At least 10 percent of Sunday's gate receipts will be turned over to the local chapter of the American Red Cross for the specific purpose of alleviating suffering in the flood-stricken districts, Myers announced. Whereas cold, clammy weather kept last Sunday's attendance down to less than 9,500 paying customers, the rematch should nearly double that figure. Sunday's 20-to-20 deadlock was one of the most sensational pro games ever seen here and the manner in which the boys blocked and socked sent the fans home chattering to
themselves. The Packers, who probably took a worse
physical beating than the cumbersome Bears, will be at
full strength for the contest, but Coach Halas is worried
about the crack Bear halfback, Johnny (Big Train) Sisk,
who suffered a broken thumb in the battle with Green 
Bay. Arnold Herber, the peerless Packer passer, may
have to wear a mask Sunday as his sniffer, flattened out
by Luke Johnsos, when they collided, is still as tender
as $3 filet mignon...WORKOUTS TODAY: Green Bay
will resume workouts at Gilmore Stadium while their
deadly enemies will practice at Wrigley Field. Hard 
work won't start until tomorrow, however, as most of the
lads are still nursing bruises from Sunday's homicidal
JAN 28 (Los Angeles) - Two of Minnesota's greatest
fullbacks, Bronko Nagurski and Jack Manders, will be in
the starting lineup of the Chicago Bears when they 
battle the Green Bay Packers at the Gilmore Stadium
Sunday afternoon. Manders has been sent to the right
halfback position by Owner-Coach George Halas to
replace John (Big Train) Sisk, who suffered a compound
fracture of the left thumb in last Sunday's game. The
bone in Sisk's thumb stuck out through the flesh and he
was on an operating table for an hour. Manders replaces
Nagurski at fullback as a rule but he is thoroughly
conversant with the duties at right halfback. He finished
last Sunday's game at that position and it was his 
presence that added the necessary spark that enabled
Chicago to battle the Bays to a 20-20 tie. Appreciation
of the plan of the Los Angeles County Council of the
American Legion to turn part of the receipts of Sunday's
pro grid game over to the relief sufferers was voiced by
Douglas Griesemer, director of the fundraising in a
telegram to Harry Myers. The message to Myers was in response to a telegram to President Franklin D. Roosevelt, telling of his plans. Following is the wire: "Your telegram to the President has been referred to the Red Cross. Please be assured we appreciate very much the contribution you are planning in behalf of the flood sufferers in the Ohio and Mississippi valleys. Need is very great indeed. Please send donations direct to Los Angeles Red Cross chapter. Douglas Griesemer, director of fund raising."
JAN 29 (Los Angeles) - Intimation in this column that last Sunday's slam-bang battle between the Bears and Packers at the Gilmore Stadium was probably an appetizer for next Sunday's rematch made George Halas and his Chicago players very man. I have known Mr. Halas a long time and rarely have I seen him as angry as when he backed me into a corner and opened up with both barrels. "I was very much hurt by what you said," unloaded George, "and our players were so mad I feared for your life. George Musso, our 260-pound tackle, was all for invading your office and letting you have it. I finally persuaded him to harbor his resentment until Sunday and then take it out on the Packers. But you certainly were wrong. That was the second toughest pro football game I have seen in twenty years of association with the game. The boys were really playing for keeps. Johnny Sisk, who suffered a dislocated thumb, was on the operating table for more than an hour after the game. It was one of the worst injuries I ever saw. Herber's nose will never be the same. You don't think was all in fund, do you? I'll tell you, if pro football ever becomes an act, I'm through with the game. It means too much to me to stand for anything of this kind. I think you owe the boys an apology and I'm sure you'll admit you were wrong after you see Sunday's game." Very well, Mr. Halas, you have my apology. I certainly don't want George Musso after my scalp. I'm not sure that he could get by Harriet Jenkins, guardian of our outer office, but I'm no guy to monkey with the Whopper of the gridiron. It is a fine gesture to give part of the receipts to flood sufferers and here's hoping for good weather and a huge crowd.
JAN 25 (Hollywood) - Yesterday's Packer-Bear football game was one of the roughest I ever witnessed. It all started when Herber threw the first touchdown pass from about the 4-yard line. After the pass was thrown several Bears piled on Herber and broke his nose. It may not have been deliberate but our boys and many fans will always think that way. Without a doubt the Bears played good ball and looked better than at any time during the season, except possibly at Green Bay...GET BAD BREAKS: Two bad breaks gave the Bears two touchdowns. One was when Laws attempted to pass to Bruder and the ball slipped out of his hands into those of Stydahar, who ran for a touchdown. The other was when Schwammel ran down the field on a punt and Chicago blocked the kick. Some of our boys were off color, but others played great ball. Hinkle and Monnett were outstanding in the backfield and Goldenberg in the line...FANS ARE THRILLED: Without a doubt the fans were thrilled with the game, and want a rematch for next Sunday. At present this game seems rather doubtful, although we have a meeting scheduled for tonight and will talk it over. We do not wish to alibi, but the team was much displeased with the officials' work, especially when roughing penalties were not called. If next Sunday's game is played, it will be mostly to show that we can defeat the Bears.
JAN 26 (Hollywood, CA) - The Green Bay Packers will make their last gridiron appearance before the All Star game in Chicago next summer when they battle the Chicago Bears again at Gilmore stadium here Sunday, Coach E.L. Lambeau announced today. The New Orleans game, planned tentatively for Feb. 7, has been called off, and once the Bears are met for the fourth time this season, the Green Bay squad will disband and head for home. The rescheduling of the Packers and Bears followed a flood of requests to the American Legion post here, after the two great professional teams had battled to a 20 to 20 deadlock last Sunday. Los Angeles fans were tremendously impressed by the contest, and it is expected that a crowd considerably larger than the 10,000 of last Sunday will be on hand for the rematch, particularly if the weather shows a disposition to warm up. The Los Angeles Examiner of this morning discussed the situation as follows: "A number of people have gone so far as to admit that Sunday's Green Bay Packer-Chicago Bear tilt was the best pro game ever witnessed here. Why not give the boys their just dues? As far as this department was concerned, it was the best game ever seen here, pro or amateur."...NOT SO SUDDEN: "It had everything, doubled in spades and redoubled, and to the suspicious who have intimated that the boys were being coached in burlesquing by Man Mountain Dean, who was on the Packer bench - a nice, big bunch of bootiful scallions - that fight between Lou Gordon and Beattie Feathers appeared to have developed suddenly because of Gordon's unnecessary roughness. This was not true. Resentment started to smolder on the Packer bench early in the first quarter, when Arnold Herber came off the field covered with his own blood and shaking a menacing fist in the direction of the Bears. In tossing a touchdown pass Herber was smashed in the face as he went down under a group of hard-tackling Bears. He came up with a broken nose."..PACKERS ARE ANGRY: "As Herber came off the gridiron the Packer bench arose as a man to ask him what happened. Herber, gesticulating wildly, seemingly was telling them that he was the victim of foul play. Gordon was not in the game at the time, but he was all for leading a charge on the Bears, and it was difficulty that his mates restrained him. When Feathers resented Gordon's tackling later in the game it was just the chance Lou had been waiting for, and he was quick to start swinging."
JAN 26 (Los Angeles) - Haggling like a covey of Persian rug merchants, Owner George Halas of the Chicago Bears, Owner Curly Lambeau of the Green Bay Packers and Harry Myers of the local American Legion, were still "in conference: as this edition went to press last night. The pro football moguls met yesterday to discuss terms of a proposed rematch between the Bears and Packers, who put on the second Battle of the Marne Sunday afternoon at Gilmore Stadium...FANS SHOUT FOR MOREL: A majority of the 8,500 fans who saw Sunday's 20-20 donnybrook beseeched Myers to arrange a second meeting of the National League grid powers next Sunday, for it was the consensus that the boys really put on a "shootin' match". Four or five robust performers had to be carried off the field, fist fights pepped up the proceedings and in the meantime the teams were putting on a great exhibition of offensive football. It was reported that Myers offered Halas and Lambeau each a guarantee of $2,500 for the rematch, but the easterners were holding out for more money...PLAYERS PAID $90: Clarke Hinkle, self-appointed spokesman for the Packers, supported Lambeau's request for more of a guarantee. "I wouldn't play that game over for any ninety bucks," said the big Packer fullback, "and neither would any of the other guys." Considering the pounding they took, one could hardly blame them for holding out for a more lucrative offer.
JAN 26 (Green Bay) - Marty Norton, Packer football player of 1925, who led the team in scoring that season, has been having trouble with the law. A recent article in the Des Moines, Ia., Register, details the colorful career of the former athlete. The article follows: BY GORDON GAMMACK: This is the story of the amazing career of Marty Norton - A barbaric child, a high school idol, a high-ranking university student, a big-shot athlete, an $800-a-month high pressure salesman and then - A convicted forger - But an heroic convict who saved a prison guard's life and for his heroism was rewarded with a parole...HELTER SKELTER LIFE: His has been a helter-skelter life, marked one day with success and the next with grief...Marty Norton was born in the northernmost wilds of Minnesota, the son of an Austrian lumberman - Joseph Muhvich. Marty didn't know what a home was, had no opportunity for education. Then, by a lucky chance, he was adopted by Mr. and Mrs. W.I. Norton, a well-to-do Minneapolis, Minn., couple who, in subsequent years, gave him all the opportunities a boy could ask. A woman in Superior, Wis., who knew Norton and his family, once wrote the Iowa board of parole about him. "The Nortons had a big lumber interests in northern Minnesota and one day (while inspecting them), they found a little boy of 8 years running wild in the woods," she wrote...DIED OF DRINK: "By much patience and cookies, they got him near them...His mother was an Hungarian gypsy who left the family ever so often and wandered to other camps and finally died of drink. The Nortons took Marty to Minneapolis where they finally persuaded him to sleep IN the bed and not UNDER it. Of course he did not known the meaning of affection or love, as the first time Mrs. Norton tried to kiss him, he jumped down behind the bed and, peaking at her, said: 'Don't ever do that again! No one ever did that to me.' She said, "All right, Marty, I won't kiss you again but I want to love you.' It was almost two years later that he came home with a good report card and she said, 'I am proud of you,' and he came over to her and kissed her."...EXCELLED AT SPORTS: There followed for Norton a remarkable athletic career. He excelled at all sports - football, basketball, baseball, track, tennis - and in Minneapolis it is said that he is the greatest athlete that ever came out of a Minneapolis high school. After graduating from Minneapolis Central high school in 1933, he went to Holy Cross college in Worcester, Mass., for a year and then to DePaul university in Chicago, where again he was an outstanding athlete. But in the meantime he had begun playing professional football and basketball and made those sports his profession after leaving DePaul. He played with Red Grange, Elmer Layden (Notre Dame coach) and Duke Slater, Iowa's famous Negro star in football, and with Fritz Crisler, football coach at Princeton, in basketball. The Green Bay Packers, national professional football champions this year, was one of the teams with which Norton played...HE WAS A PACKER STAR IN 1925: He also coached for awhile at Ripon college, Ripon, Wis. He was a halfback - light (160 pounds), but fast and tough as nails. At professional athletics, Norton made big money - as high as $500 a game for football and $275 a game for basketball. When the depression caused salaries to dwindle he quit athletics and turned to selling magazines - the thing that has caused him most of the trouble he's had. "It is poor policy to follow a professional athletic career," Norton once wrote the parole board. "It's east come, easy go. When you're through your future is out but a shadow." But in the same letter he told what the magazine business did to his character: "I soon lost the profits of my personality - they were merely tiny units which, together, composed a shapeless, jelly-like mass. My chief characteristic was apathy. The magazine managers betrayed me by teaching me high pressure salesmanship...MORALE IS LOW: "Not making any money, my morale was at a low ebb, for self respect had flown and I thought I had to have money. I was like the horse which ran up against a stone wall not because it was blind but because it just didn't give a damn. Then my trouble really began, involving unfortunate incidents over which I had no control. Mind you, up to 1931, I didn't know what the inside of a jail looked like." But Marty learned. In March 1931, he was arrested in Nebraska for "unlawful solicitation". Some time later, he was convicted of breaking jail in Nebraska and served almost a year in prison for that. Other arrests growing out of his magazine solicitations brought no convictions until 1934. Meantime, however, he was making big money and authentic records show that for long periods he averaged $800 a month. Norton has never done any house to house canvassing. "That's a sucker's racket," he said...PICKED HIS PROSPECTS: Instead, his prospects are handpicked. He knows that there are several magazines which school teachers take sooner or later - magazines dealing with children's activities - and he concentrates on them, usually rural teachers who are beginners. By innuendo, he conveys the idea he is attending the same teachers college the teacher went to, makes general conversation, and then starts talking magazines. The fact that a teacher had no money with her would not stop him. If everything else failed, he would tell the teacher to write our a check and leave the money at a bank at her convenience. George Simpson, chairman of the Iowa parole board, once asked Norton:
Q. Why did you quit football?
A. I quit it when I couldn't make $40 or $50 a day.
Q. Could you make a living selling magazines?
A. I know it sounds like braggery but any time I couldn't make $50 a day in the magazine business, I'd be willing to put in a year or two in jail.
CONVICTED OF FORGERY: Even so, Norton was convicted of forging a $4 check against a school teacher at Mount Pleasant, Ia., and on June 7, 1934, he was convicted and sentenced to the Iowa state reformatory at Anamosa, Ia., for 10 years. Norton always denied that he forged the check. "It was my word against the school teacher's; that's all," he said. "But the charge was ridiculous and still is." In January, 1936, Richard Renicks, a crazed Negro convict, attacked a popular guard, Charles Strickel, and hurled him over a railing to his death 40 feet below. He was about to do the game to C.H. Hall, another guard, when Norton grabbed Renicks, subdued him and, thus, saved Hall's life. The Iowa board of control asked that Norton be rewarded. The parole board responded and gave him a parole. On parole, Norton started painting houses in Cedar Rapids, Ia., and last June he earned $76 at it. In July he earned $100 but he was not contented. His employer was unable to pay his wages, was in jail, in fact...THINKS LOOKING UP: But in August things were looking up. Norton made $163 selling magazines and was reading a series of articles on social justice. He reported to the parole board that his surroundings were "wonderful and the future looks great". The board then gave him permission to go to Minnesota and in September he earned $488 selling magazines and was reading the American Mercury and Harpers, "highbrow" magazines. In October he earned $660 and attended political rallies and Big Ten football games. Then his troubles started anew. Four counties in Minnesota issued warrants for his arrest for breaking a state law by selling magazines on school property. The parole board sent Frank Kearney, Jr., Iowa parole agent, to Minnesota to investigate the charges and determine whether his parole should be revoked. At Austin, Minn., where Norton was being