top of page

Championship: Green Bay Packers (8-2) 14, New York Giants (8-1-1) 7

Sunday December 17th 1944 (at New York)


was your neighbor, Arnie Herber, who set up a New York score and tried very earnestly to do it again.


Tiger Joe Laws, though, stepped in to thwart Herber's attempts as he intercepted three of Arnie's shots. That, by the way, is a new playoff record for interceptions. Oddly enough, the Giants went into the air in their scoring attempts. Arnie, tossing 22 passes, completing eight. The Packers remained on the ground for the most part. Resorting to the air on eleven occasions, three being completed. Yardage on passes was 117 for Herber, all in the second half, and 73 for the Packers. On the soil it was different with the Packers piling up 162 yards to New York's 70 that gave Green Bay a total of 235 yards against 187 for the Giants. The Packers also led in first downs, 11 to 10. One of the best plays for Green Bay was the Giant timeout. Badly bruised in their last two encounters with Washington, the New Yorkers often had to ask for rest. Oversubscribing their quota early in each half, they soon began to lose five yards whenever they wanted quiet.


It was a hard game, but a clean one. Players of both sides hit hard, but there was little rough stuff in the clinches. Curly Lambeau crossed up the Giants with his ground game as the New Yorkers were expecting Don Hutson to do most of the work on attack. Instead the Packers mixed them up, and that resulted in their second touchdown when Ted Fritsch took a short pass and scored standing up. The Giants, meanwhile, were watching Hutson. Fritsch also scored the first Green Bay counter on a plunge after he had ripped through the Giants for a bull in a China shop run that, at its conclusion, left him but one yard from the goal. Hutson added both extra points, precisely, methodically, and beautifully. That all took place in the second quarter. The Giants were sluggish to start but caught fire late in the third period and Ward Cuff made their touchdown on the first play of the final period after a 41-yard aerial, Herber to Frank Liebel, carried to the one. With that as a bracer the Giants really socked back and their clients were yammering hard for another score as the game drew to a close. Laws, who sparkled all day, was the Packer workhorse, carrying the ball 13 times for 74 yards, the best ground gaining record of the matinee. Ted Fritsch was second for the teams with 58 yards in 17 tries. Cuff made 55 in 12 for the Giants and Howie Livingston 23 in 12.


The players' pool came to the not measly sum of $81,466.51, which included $12,931.81 for radio and movie rights. Of that, the Packers will split $41,896,64 while the Giants must be content with $27,931.91. A pool of $11,637,96 was awarded to the second place teams with Philadelphia getting half and the Bears and Lions divvying up the other portion. And so, the sun sets here on a littered and deserted Polo Grounds under Coogan's bluff, you have a new champion - the Green Bay Packers. Fittingly, it comes on the 25th year of the Green Bay team's play in the pro loop. And not to throw your reporter into it, but on Labor day we saw the team lose to Washington and in spite of that made a prediction. Now we can say: We told yo so. Here are the details, a pleasure to set down today.


The Giants won the toss and chose to receive. Lucy Monroe sang the National Anthem and then Ted Fritsch, with Joe Laws holding, kicked to Howie Livingston, who came back to his own 27, Larry Craig making the tackle. Cuff ran to his right for about a yard. Livingston tried to go to his right and made about a yard when he was pushed out of bounds. Younce punted and Herber down the ball on the Packers' 36. The Giants took a short timeout. Comp ran through center for about three. Again the Giants took timeout as Calligaro was hurt. Barker took his place. Fritsch bulled to his right for about six. Fritsch tried the same play and just made a first on the Packers' 46. Laws went off tackle for three. The Packers were grinding away at the Giants' line. Comp was smeared on a delayed line buck over center. Comp's toss to Jacunski was incomplete. Fritsch kicked to Livingston, who came back only a yard or two until Charley Brock nailed him on the Giants 19. Two line plays didn't net much and Younce kicked to Laws on the Packers' 42. He ran back to the Giants' 46. Again the Giants took timeout. Lou Brock and Paul Duhart went in for the Packers. Duhart ran hard to his left but made only a yard when Hein tossed him out of bounds. He cut off tackle for a foot. Lou Brock tossed away over Hutson's head. Two men held Don close to the line of scrimmage. Lou Brock kicked to Cuff on his six and he came back to his 21.


Livingston ran wide for four. On third and five, Younce punted to Comp on the Packers' 36 and he came back to the Green Bay 44, where he stepped out. Comp tossed to Hutson who took the ball and ran several years until he went out of bounds on the Giants' 34. Fritsch lost three. The Giants were offside, which cost them five yards and it was second and eight on the New York 30. Younce then intercepted Comp's pass and ran back about five yards to the 35. New York took timeout and lost five yards. Bill Paschal entered the game for New York, replacing Livingston. Cuff failed to gain. Paschal hit for about three. Younce kicked to Laws, who took it on the Packers' 35 and ran back to his 49. Another timeout cost the Giants another five. Comp made about two feet through guard. Fritsch failed to gain off left tackle. Comp tossed to Jacunski for a first down on the Giants 32. But a back in motion cost the Packers instead of a five yard penalty. It was third and nine. A long toss, Comp to Hutson, was batted down by half the Giant team.


Lou Brock's punt was fumbled by Cuff who picked it up and went out on the Giants' 11. Livingston failed to gain. He got the same treatment on his next try. Younce stood on his goal line and punted a tricky one that Comp chased back to the Packer 35, and then, picking up speed, came back to the Giants' 48, a 21 yard runback as the period ended with no score. Comp's punt return was a beauty as he almost got away for even longer yardage and a possible touchdown. On the first play of the second period, Joe Laws ran right though the middle for a first down on the Giants' 28. It was another 21 yard run. Fritsch then raced into the open and was pulled down a yard short of the goal. He was stopped on his first line plunge. He was stopped again, losing half a yard. Laws on third down was dropped on the one yard line. Lou Brock went in.


The Giants showed an amazing defense on three plays. The next play could easily be the key to the entire ball game, it seemed, as the Packers took timeout. Fritsch bulled right through the middle for a touchdown in 2:26 of the period. Don Hutson added the extra point and the Packers led, 7-0. Sorenson went in and kicked off, the ball being taken by Ward Cuff on the goal, who ran out to his 24 where Baby Ray stopped him. Arnie Herber, in for New York, tossed a long one and Joe Laws intercepted on his 45 and ran away back into Giant territory, but the Packers were given the ball on their 49 when they clipped on the play. Perkins made a yard. He fumbled, but recovered for a five-yard loss. Laws rammed the line for about eight and it was fourth and seven. Lou Brock was alternating in the backfield, being called in to do much of the punting. He booted now to Cuff, who took it on his five and came back to his 19 where Ray nailed him. Cuff made four. Livingston made two. He was held for half a yard gain. Younce punted to Comp, who took it on the 30 and ran back to the Packers 46. Another timeout cost the Giants a five. Fritsch made a yard. Laws was stopped at the line by Blozis. Comp's pass to Ray Wheba was incomplete. Fritsch kicked ino the end zone and it was the Giants' ball on their 20.


Cuff ran for six. Livingston made two. The Packers held and Younce punted from his 15. Laws took the ball on the Green Bay 27 and ran back 11 yards. Another Giant timeout moved it to the 44. Comp ran wide, but lost a yard. Laws delayed and then smashed through center for four yards. Hutson took Comp's pass on the Giant 35 and ran out of bounds on the 30. Comp's pass to Hutson was incomplete when Don was again delayed at the line. Fritsch was all alone. He took Comp's pass about 10 yards out and raced unescorted into the end zone. The score was made in 13:43 of the period. Hutson added the extra point and the Packes led, 14-0. Sorenson kicked off, Sulaitis taking the ball on his goal line and coming back to his 17. Herber's pass was knocked down by Charley Brock. Herber was tossed on his 10 attempting to pass. A plunge failed as the half ended with the Packes leading, 14-0. The Packers had given a great display of football during the first two periods, throttling the Giants at every turn and completely dominating the game. Great punting, firm line play, and a wise choice of plays had kept the Packers always on top of the New York eleven. The Packers had run up 141 yards and five first downs, three by rushing, two through passes. The Giants, meanwhile, had been unable to pick up a first down and had made only 24 yards from scrimmage. But now there was still another half to be played.


It was opened with Fritsch booted to Herber, who took the ball on the 10 and ran back to his 27. Paschal hit the line but his bad ankle gave and he submarined under a pile of players for a yard and then was helped off the field. Livingston replaced him. A pass was incomplete. Herber threw to Cuff for the Giants' first down on the midfield stripe. The pass and run covered 22 yards. Herber connected with Barker but for no gain. Another was incomplete. A long one went incomplete on the Packer 10. Younce punted to Comp, who came back almost 10 to the Packers' 30. Comp raced off left tackle and into the clear until he stepped out of bounds on the Giants' 41. It was a pretty 27-yard run. Fritsch was knocked down for a three yard loss. Comp was held by four Giants as he tried to pass and the ball was back on the Packer 44. Fritsch punted and Comp downed the ball on the Giant five. Younce punted out from behind his goal line and the ball went dead on the Giant 47. Laws cut right through center and bulled 16 yards to the Giants' 31. Comp was topped at the same hole. Comp tried to pass, fell down and the ball was dead on the Giants' 40. Hein intercepted Comp's pass on his 15 but ran back and was spilled on his 12. The Giants took timeout. Livingston was forced out of bounds for about a two yard gain. Ward Cuff raced through center for 12 yards and a first down on the Giant 26. Herber hit Liebel with a pass for almost a first down on the 36 and the Giants were beginning to roll. Cuff just made it as the huge crowd came to life.


Herber threw to Livingston who ran out of bounds on the Packers' 47. It was another first down. Laws needled that, though, when he intercepted Herber's toss and came back nine yards to the Packer 40. Duhart ran to his right for seven. Fritsch ran into a jam but made a yard. Fritsch lost about two. The Packers took timeout as Lou Brock replaced Joe Laws. He kicked out of bounds on the New York 28. Cuff hit for four. Hutson almost intercepted a Herber pass. Herber was smothered, but threw the ball and the Giants were penalized 15 back to their 16 for illegally grounding a forward. Younce punted to Duhart, who took it on his 42 and came back five. Duhart ran wide but lost four. The Giants line was doing much better and smothered another Green Bay attempt. The Giants lost five for offside and it was third and nine at midfield. Livingston intercepted Comp's pass intended for Hutson and was dropped on his 45. The Giants took timeout. A Herber toss was incomplete, but interference was ruled on the Packers and the Giants had first down on the Packers' 42. Liebel took Herber's long pass and ran out of bounds on the one yard line as the quarter ended with the Packers leading, 14-0. Comp slipped and fell down on the play, but Ted Fritsch threw Liebel out of bounds after a 41-yard gain.


On the first play of the last quarter Cuff plunged for a touchdown. It was scored in three seconds of the fourth period. Ken Strong added the extra point and the Packers led, 14-7. Strong kicked off for the Giants. Laws finally taking the ball after it was muffed and it was the Packers' ball on the 23 when the Giants were penalized five for taking another timeout. Fritsch ripped for 14 and a first dwn on the 37, but he lost one on the next play. Comp ran hard and was knocked out of bounds. He was hurt on the play and Duhart replaced him. The ball was on the Packers' 46, lacking less than a yard for a first down. Comp seemed quite seriously hurt. Fritsch plunged and just made a first down by half the length of the ball. Duhart ran hard to his left for eight yards. Fritsch bucked into the line for no gain. Duhart came to his right, cut in, but missed a first down by inches. Lou Brock kicked into the Giants' end zone and New York took the ball on its 20. Cuff reversed for 11 yards and a first down. Herber's long pass was intercepted by Joe Laws on the Packer 35. A timeout cost the Giants five. Laws ripped center for a first down on the Giant 46. He hit the same hole for four. Again he carried, this time off tackle, but failed to gain. Fritsch lost four. Fritsch punted out on the Giant 15.


Cuff made two. Then he ripped the Packer line for a gain to the Giants' 35 but the Giants were penalized to their 20 for clipping. It was second and five at that point. Livingston made a first down on the New York 26. Weiss grabbed Herber's pass, but dropped it. Cuff carried for another first down with a 12 yard dash to his own 38. A long pass was incomplete. Another, still longer one, was knocked down after Duhart almost intercepted. Liebel then took one on the Packers' 45 and he fought on to the 41. The Giants were full of fire. A fumble lost seven. Duhart then intercepted on his 20, bounced up and down like a rubber ball, and the Giants were penalized 15 yards for unnecessary roughness. It was Green Bay's ball on the 33 with a bit more than three minutes to play. Fritsch ran hard and out of bounds for a first down on the Packer 48. The Packers, after two line plays, lost 15 for offensive holding back to their 31. Comp recovered, had re-entered the game. It was fourth down on the 34 with a minute and half to play when Lou Brock went in and the Packers took timeout. Brock then punted out on the Giants' 34. Herber threw out of bounds. Weiss dropped he next one. Trapped, he lobbed one to Livingston back of the line, who gained five yards, and it was last down less than a minute. Cuff took his next toss but it did not make a first down and the Packets took over on the Giant 40. The game ended before the Packers had a chance to run a play and the Packers were champs, 14-7.

GREEN BAY -  0 14  0  0 - 14

NEW YORK  -  0  0  0  7 -  7


2ND - GB - Ted Fritsch, 1-yard run (Don Hutson kick) GREEN BAY 7-0

2ND - GB - Fritsch, 28-yard pass from Comp (Hutson kick) GREEN BAY 14-0

4TH - NY - Ward Cuff, 1-yard run (Ken Strong kick) GREEN BAY 14-7


(NEW YORK) - Humbled here at the Polo Grounds just four weeks ago to the day, the Green Bay Packers came back to the big city this Sunday afternoon to maul the New York Giants and win the NFL championship. A crowd of 46,016 paid a gross of $146,205.15 to watch the team from the smallest city in the league win over the eleven from the largest city by a 14-7 score. But before the Packers' sixth national football title was a certainty, the Giants threw a big set of shivers up and down the spines of those who rooted for the Wisconsin team. Green Bay really laid it on the men of Stout Steve Owen in the first half, holding them without a first down while scoring two touchdowns for themselves in the second quarter. In the second half, the Wisconsin attack ran up against much sterner opposition, and the Giants, gaining their second wind, made a whale of a ball game out of the championship contest. And again it 


1944 NFL Championship Game Gold Pendant Presented to Packers Scouting Director. The boss of famed Packers scout/front office man Jack Vainisi, Robert Conrad served as the team's scouting director between 1944-50, and personnel director between 1944-52. Presented here is Conrad's 10 karat gold football pendant that he was given after the Packers defeated the New York Giants in the 1944 NFL title game. It showcases a blue enamel "P" on the front, while his name is engraved on the back.


1944 Green Bay Packers NFL Championship Gold Fountain Pen Cap Presented to Frank Jonet. One of the rarest Green Bay Packers championship pieces of them all, this 14 karat gold pen cap represents the Pack's 14-7 victory over the New York Giants, which took place on December 17, 1944 at the historic Polo Grounds. Presented to Frank Jonet, the team treasurer who helped guide the Packers through one of the most perilous periods in their history when it fell into receivership in the mid 1930's, the offered lot features an impressive engraving which reads: "Frank Jonet Packers World Chapions[sic] 1944".



  Mostly it was the war. Patton was doing his end-run through Europe, the Marines were plunging across the Pacific, and long bombs were what the Air Force dropped on Berlin and Tokyo. Football — even a championship game — didn't seem all that important to most Americans. A diversion. No more. Moreover, many of the stars who might have lifted the 1944 NFL Championship Game out of the commonplace were wearing khaki. That made it hard to gauge the Packers and Giants. How would they have fared against some of the pre-war powerhouses? Not too well, most people agreed. Even the pairing was pedestrian. Baseball had been lucky. 1944 was the year the St. Louis Browns won a pennant, lending an aura of the unusual — even the bizarre — to the World Series. But the Packers and Giants? That was old news. The championship game ALWAYS had the Bears or Redskins or Packers or Giants. Was it an NFL rule? Four decades later, it takes a good trivia expert to recall which teams played in 1944. If he can remember who won, he gets an orange wedge. It's a shame really. The teams were actually pretty good, despite the loss of so many players to the military.

  The Packers had Hutson, of course. Irv Comp, the passer, was no Cecil Isbell but he could get the job done. Ted Fritsch made a first-rate fullback and Lou Brock could scamper. The line had big Baby Ray, Buckets Goldenberg, Charley Brock, and Larry Craig. They ran off six straight wins to start the season and then coasted home at 8-2-0. The Giants caught them relaxing four weeks before the end of the regular season and zapped them 24-0, then knocked off Washington twice in the final two games to nose out the Eagles and Redskins. A typical Steve Owen concoction, the New Yorkers played tough defense. During the season, they shutout half their opponents enroute to an 8-1-1 mark. Frank Cope, Al Blozis, Len Younce, and Mel Hein did the tough work in the line, and blond Bill Paschal was the league's best runner. In a "human interest" story, long-time Packer thrower Arnie Herber came out of retirement, paunchy and graying, to give New York its best passing in years.

  A large and loyal New York crowd of 46,016 showed up at the Polo Grounds on December 17. They hoped Paschal could still go despite an ankle injured in the final regular season game against the Redskins. They prayed Hutson could be held to some ordinary mortal stats by tough Giant double and triple-teaming.

They wanted a win. In the push-and-shove first quarter neither team gained an advantage. New York defenders covered Hutson like a coat of whitewash. That was the good news for Giant fans. The bad news was that Paschal's ankle made him nearly immobile. About all he could do in the backfield was act as a decoy. Early in the second quarter, Green Bay gained decent field position with a punt return to the New York 48. On first down, eleven-year veteran Joe Laws slashed through the line for 20 yards. Before the Giants got their bearings, 210-pound Ted Fritsch rumbled for 27 more to put the ball at the one. New York's tough defense stiffened and held off the Packers for three downs, but on the fourth Fritsch smashed over behind Goldenberg's block for a touchdown. Hutson kicked the PAT and Green Bay led 7-0. New York still couldn't get any offense going. Late in the second period the Packers started another drive at their own 38. On third and three, Hutson worked clear of the Giant defenders and Comp hit him for a 24-yard gain to the New York 30. Three downs gained only two yards and only a little over a minute remained in the half. Everyone in the Polo Grounds knew it was "Hutson time."

  At the snap Hutson moved to the right and virtually every Giant on the field (and probably some on the bench) moved with him like a herd of lemmings. Meanwhile, Ted Fritsch strolled through the line, looking for all the world like a guy out on his Sunday constitutional. None of the New Yorkers paid him a mind. He would have had to have insulted their mothers to get a glance. Everyone was after Hutson. But once he was past the line of scrimmage, Ted put on speed and for a big guy he could motor pretty well. When Comp finally launched his pass, it wasn't to Hutson loping through a Giant team meeting to the right. Instead it went straight down the middle to Fritsch, the lonely guy at the five. Once Ted clutched the ball he could have sung two choruses of the Packer fight song and still walked over the goal line before any Giant could have caught up with him. Hutson kicked the extra point to put the score at 14-0, but he deserved credit for the touchdown too.

  Down by two TDs as the second half began, the Giants had to pass and Green Bay knew it. Old friend Arnie Herber was playing against a stacked deck and a couple of his tosses were picked off — Joe Laws had three interceptions on the day — but he kept pitching. With Paschal unable to run, there wasn't much else in the New York arsenal. Late in the third stanza, Arnie hoisted a long one to Frank Liebel for 41 yards to take ball to the Packer one. Another ex-Wisconsinite, Marquette's Ward Cuff, smacked over for the score on the first play of the final quarter. Ward had spent eight years as a New York wingback, but he took this one in from tailback-one of those little adjustments necessitated by Paschal's injury. Ken Strong,who'd been kicking since Walter Camp was around, knocked the football through the uprights to make the score 14-7. Giant fans screamed for just one more big pass from Herber's ancient arm. Arnie did his best to accommodate them. A final desperation drive late in the period was going pretty well. But suddenly Green Bay's Paul Duhart was in the right spot at the right time — the Packer 20 just as a Herber heave descended on that spot. It was Green Bay's fourth interception and New York's last gasp.

  All things considered, it wasn't a bad game. It broke all play-off game records financially with a gross gate of $146,205.15 and a net gate after taxes of $121,703. Each Packer got $1,449.71; each Giant $814.36. There was lots of great defense and a couple of big plays. It almost had a great comeback, and it did have some human interest in Arnie Herber versus his old team. It was Al Blozis' last game. It even had one of those screwy twists people like to remember — the biggest offensive threats for both teams, Hutson and Paschal, were used almost exclusively as decoys. But you never hear fans fondly reminiscing about the "Decoy Game." Instead it's "Who played?" "Who won?" "Who cares?" Fans forget a lot of games, of course, even championships, but — if such a thing could be measured — this one would win the cup as least remembered. And they'd probably forget to inscribe it. Mostly it was the war.



DEC 17 (New York) - Charley Brock, the Green Bay Packers' burly center from Nebraska, clutched the championship ball on the last play of the game this afternoon. A valuable souvenir, he thought, as a reminder of the deeds the Packers had done this day in beating the Giants, 14 to 7, for another professional football title. When the noise had died down somewhat in the whooping bedlam of the Packers' dressing room. Don Hutson spoke quietly to Brock. "You know," he drawled, "Curly Lambeau had promised the ball to Baby Ray if we won a championship." "Gosh, I didn't know that, but it's O.K." said Charley, who then marched over to the big tackle and surrendered possession...COLLEGE ALL-STAR GAME TO BE HUTSON'S LAST: "What's that you said," yelled Buckets Goldenberg. "Your fourth annual retirement." "Right," said Hutson. "If I ever play another game in New York, I'll jump off the Empire State building." "Shucks," replied Buckets. "I'm 33, and just getting so like this game. I'm going to persuade the little woman to let me play a couple of years more." Hutson, despite a bruised thigh and an injured right elbow, said he could not remember playing a game that he enjoyed more than today's. Later, Don said he'd make the College All-Star game next August his absolute farewell to football. "We'll see those college All-Stars next summer," said Curly. "And I just hope we play the same kind of game we did today."...DON IS GREAT DECOY IN GAME'S DECISIVE PLAY: Hutson was the great decoy today in the play which really put the contest out of the Giants' reach. Time was running out in the second quarter. The Packers had the ball on the Giants' 26 yard line. Hutson sped down the field and slanted to his right. After him went three Giants - Ward Cuff, Mel Hein and Howie Livingston. On the other side of the field, big Ted Fritsch raced alone. He took Irv Comp's pass and the Giant trio, too late to correct their misadventures, watched dejectedly while Fritsch galloped for the Bays' second touchdown. "In the last analysis," said Coach Lambeau, "the difference was in the lines. We knew the Giants had the best defensive record in the league and our boys rose to the occasion. I think we might



DEC 17 (New York) - Charley Brock, the Green Bay Packers' burly center from Nebraska, clutched the championship ball on the last play of the game this afternoon. A valuable souvenir, he thought, as a reminder of the deeds the Packers had done this day in beating the Giants, 14 to 7, for another professional football title. When the noise had died down somewhat in the whooping bedlam of the Packers' dressing room. Don Hutson spoke quietly to Brock. "You know," he drawled, "Curly Lambeau had promised the ball to Baby Ray if we won a championship." "Gosh, I didn't know that, but it's O.K." said Charley, who then marched over to the big tackle and surrendered possession...COLLEGE ALL-STAR GAME TO BE HUTSON'S LAST: "What's that you said," yelled Buckets Goldenberg. "Your fourth annual retirement." "Right," said Hutson. "If I ever play another game in New York, I'll jump off the Empire State building." "Shucks," replied Buckets. "I'm 33, and just getting so like this game. I'm going to persuade the little woman to let me play a couple of years more." Hutson, despite a bruised thigh and an injured right elbow, said he could not remember playing a game that he enjoyed more than today's. Later, Don said he'd make the College All-Star game next August his absolute farewell to football. "We'll see those college All-Stars next summer," said Curly. "And I just hope we play the same kind of game we did today."...DON IS GREAT DECOY IN GAME'S DECISIVE PLAY: Hutson was the great decoy today in the play which really put the contest out of the Giants' reach. Time was running out in the second

have had an  easier time had Lou Brock been able to run."...ARNIE HERBER, DEJECTED, IS KEY TO GIANTS' GLOOM:  A dejected Arnie Herber, sitting on a chair with his shirt tail out, was the key to the Giants' gloom in their quarters after the game. Arnie just sat there, making no effort to take off his uniform. "We lost to a good ball club," said the Giants' coach, Steve Owen, calm in defeat. "I still think we might have won the game. We were hurt by the loss of Bill Paschal and Len Calligaro, our blocking back. Howie Livingston, subbing for Bill, just doesn't have the experience a player needs in a championship game in this league." The jubilant Packers caught a train early in the evening for Green Bay...Heartly (Hunk) Anderson and Luke Johnsos, co-coaches of the Chicago Bears, enjoyed their rare role of sightseers in the playoff game. This was the first postseason championship battle the Bears have missed since 1939. Ralph Brizzolara, acting president, and Walter Halas, vice president of the Bears, and Charley Bidwill, the Cardinals owner, were there. Phil Handler, coach of the Cards, and Anderson both made bold predictions that the Packers would win.


DEC 18 (New York) - Coach Curly Lambeau is just about the happiest man in the world today! Didn't his Packers come through with their best exhibition of the 1944 season to defeat the New York Giants, 14-7, before a sellout crowd of some 46,000 in the Polo Grounds Sunday afternoon? The question answers itself. The Packer coach, winding up his 26th year as leader of the team, doesn't need anything else to make him happy. Lambeau could hardly control himself when the Press-Gazette contacted him in New York this morning. "Oh, what a beautiful morning," he exclaimed, adding in almost the same breath. "For the first time this year, the ball club operated at full efficiency. If a team ever deserved to win a championship, this team did. Everybody was ready and that includes the fellows who didn't even get in." Lambeau remained in New York today to attend a meeting of owners and officials of the NFL. Meanwhile, the team with the exception of two men, was en route home. The two players not returning are halfback Paul Duhart, who went to his home in Massachusetts, and tackle Ade Schwammel, who went to Detroit. The Green Bay coach, who doesn't want anything if he can't have victory, unstintingly praised his team for its performance. "The game was one of their best," he said, "and on defense all the boys were superb. Special credit should be given to Larry Craig, whose trap blocking on runs by Joe Laws up the middle, paved the way for Joe."...PLAYED 60 MINUTES: Three of the Packers - Don Hutson, Craig and Charley Brock - played 60 minutes. Those who listened to the broadcasts of the game probably also remember the names of others frequently singled out for their work - Baby Ray and Paul Berezney, Ted Fritsch, the old veteran Joe Laws, Paul Duhart, Harry Jacunski, Buckets Goldenberg and Ray Wheba. The championship gave the Packers a tie with the Chicago Bears for most titles won. Green Bay took the crown in 1929-1930-1931, 1936, 1939 and 1944. The playoff was the fourth in which the Packers appeared. They won in 1936 against Boston, in 1939 and this year against New York. In 1938 they lost to the Giants.

bottom of page